fhttGolden Tote is a monthly fashion “grab bag” where you choose 1-2 clothing items from a list of options and then get 1-4 surprise items (from a different “secret” list), personally chosen for you by a stylist. New totes (meaning a new list of both optional and surprise items) are released on the first Monday of each month flash sale style: limited quantities, first come first serve. Some styles carry over if they don’t sell out in their initial launch month, but for the most part everything is new every month.
Totes come in three sizes: Small for $49 (2-3 items total, choose 1), Large for $149 (5-6 items total, choose 2), and the newly added Surprise for $99 (4 items total, choose none). Shipping is $9.95 per tote, free for orders over $149.
Ordered: June 8th (Mon, “tote day,” it was crazy)
Shipped: June 19th (Fri)
Received: June 22nd (Mon)
It takes much longer to ship if you order on tote day (almost two weeks!) than later in the month (can be as fast as 2 or 3 days).
First up, my chosen item: Too Cool Cardigan in Mint. I originally wanted the navy blue but it was out of stock so I went with this one. And I’m glad I did as this looks quite a bit better in person than in photos — it’s actually a really good color for me. And it fits well also, although weirdly a little tight in the upper arms. Basically love it though!
Next up, my surprise: Le Lis Asymmetrical Hem Tunic in black. Love it! Love the black and white, and it’s 100% rayon so it’s super drapey, stretchy, and forgiving. And it layers great so I can keep wearing it into the fall with a cardigan or denim jacket.
Summary: A good tote! Feels like “SIS” really paid attention to my requests with the flowy and ‘bra-strap friendly’ tunic (also an option I selected). Both of these are items I can imagine picking out for myself, so this one was a solid value.
If you decide to give Golden Tote a try use this link and I’ll get a small store credit. :)
Notes about Golden Tote:
– Golden Tote is not a standard subscription box service as totes must be purchased every month (it does not automatically renew every month).
– They draw from a variety of clothing brands so sizes do not always fit consistently (i.e. some run large, some run small). The Facebook group is handy for figuring out how different brands fit.
– Totes are returnable on an all-or-nothing basis only — send everything back or keep it all.
– Sizes offered XS-L, they do not offer XL.
– You do actually get a new “Golden Tote” tote bag with each order. The design is different every month.
– Styles go FAST on “Tote Day” (what they call launch day, the first Monday of the month). The site gets a little slow and many styles/sizes sell out in the first hour or two. Depending on your personality either be logged in and ready to ‘shop like the wind’ the minute the new tote launches, or wait until Monday night/Tuesday to see what’s left and browse with a little less urgency.
– There is a large and very active Golden Tote Trading Group on Facebook for selling and trading unwanted items — I highly recommend joining if only for styling ideas and the positive body image it promotes! Lots of regular women in all shapes and sizes posting photos in their GT clothing, and looking totally cute doing it.
– Additional ‘add on’ items can be purchased separately through the Golden Tote boutique — belts, handbags, jewelry, and some clothing.
– There is a small field at the end of the style profile where you can leave notes, special requests, and additional information for your stylist — make use of it! For example I let them know I have a long inseam (so hopefully they won’t send me too-short pants) and said I prefer stretchy/forgiving materials, tunics, and maxi dresses. Next time I’ll add that I prefer silver jewelry over gold.
* This post contains affiliate links